The definitive guide to Nikon's top consumer camera is here.
To Order, Click Here
(whether via the Web or Mail Order)
Thom Hogan's Complete Guide to the Nikon D5100 helps you understand and master the use of the Nikon D5100 DSLR.
With over 1000 pages of detailed, complete, and useful information in three different volumes, you'll find all your questions about the camera and how to use it answered. You get way more than a single PDF file. You get four primary works, three on CD and one printed:
- The Complete Guide to the Nikon D5100: this 640+ page eBook (PDF file and optional B&W paperback version) contains everything you'd want to know about the D5100 and how to use it. You'll find deep explanations with more examples and suggestions than in previous and other guides, all in the no-nonsense and understandable writing style for which Thom Hogan has become famous. No matter how well you think you know the D5100, you'll find things in this work that you didn't know about the cameras. That's why it's called a "complete guide."
- Nikon D5100 Video Guide: this short 30+ page work details all the video-oriented features of the D5100 and gives some background on video standards and how a camera like the D5100 generates video. Includes necessary instructions for getting the best out of your D5100 when shooting video. (Note: Video Guide is not included in the optional printed paperback.)
- Introduction to Nikon Software, Third Edition: another 300+ pages of useful information in eBook form (PDF file), this time about software that applies to the D5100 (both supplied and optional, including Excel worksheets and Photoshop actions that Thom supplies). This work includes sections on the current versions of Nikon Transfer, Nikon View NX2, Nikon Camera Control Pro 2, and Nikon Capture NX2. There's enough here to get you started using Nikon's software, and probably a few things the experts amongst you didn't know, as well. Third-party software as well as workflow is also covered in this edition.
- The Nikon D5100 To Go: this 112-page printed (yes, printed) and spiral bound (lay flat) pocket guide is excerpted from the Complete Guide text and contains only those things you need to know when out shooting. Basically, the reference information and step-by-step instructions that are in the Complete Guide have been all put into a portable reference you can carry with you. You asked for it; you got it!
Tested on iPad, Kindle 3, Nook Color
(may work on other tablets/readers*)
But wait, there's more. Thom has revisited the support files he provides with his Complete Guides, so now you also get:
- A second heaping helping of Photoshop Actions. Besides all the Photoshop Actions that were supplied with previous Complete Guides, now there's another whole file full of interesting and useful actions.
- The Complete Guide Worksheets. Accurate and complete Depth of Field, Flash, Macro, and Storage worksheets to calculate your own values for many useful functions.
- Workflow Videos. Three short, to-the-point videos that step you through the same basic workflow for Nikon DSLR images, but with three different sets of software (Nikon's own, a mix-and-match combination, and the all-Adobe version).
The Complete Guide to the Nikon D5100 is a must-own for any D5100 user. There simply isn't any other work out there that comes close to touching the detail, usefulness, or completeness of this work. The work is supplied on CD-ROM for all the electronic files plus a printed Nikon D5100 to Go guide for $39.95
plus shipping and handling, and can only be purchased
from this site.
To Order, Click Here
- Organized to help you learn. Completely reorganized and fine tuned, with distinct sections for what you need to know before using the camera (background and setup), while using the camera (shooting features), and after using the camera (what to do with your images). Software questions? That's in the separate Introduction to Nikon Software eBook so it doesn't clutter up the camera info. Want a more concise carry-it-with-you guide? You got it in the D5100 To Go you get with your order.
- Super cross-referenced. The PDFs have full bookmarks for all sections, all page numbers in the text (including TOC, cross references, index) are hot-linked to the correc page. Coupled with the search function in PDFs, you should be able to find anything fast.
complete instruction manual and an introduction to relevant
digital issues in one book. Thom Hogan's Complete Guide
to the Nikon D5100 manages to not only fully describe every
feature of the D5100 series in clear, easy-to-understand language, but
gives you rich, technical background for many of the critical
issues that confront digital camera users. First time DSLR users will get information about how DSLRs work. DSLR veterans will get insights into how to set their D5100 bodies for the best results. Video users get information on how to use the video functions on the D5100, including getting more manual control than Nikon normally allows.
- Nikon flash and autofocus modes explained in plain English! Wonder how the new I-TTL flash works? Can't figure out Dynamic autofocus, Release Priority, Focus Priority, 3D Tracking, the AF-A autofocus mode, or a host of other terms used to describe features of the focusing system? Thom Hogan's Complete Guide to the Nikon D5100 explains these terms and accompanying techniques in the same simple, no-nonsense language that made his Nikon Field Guide a best seller. Autofocus, metering, and everything else in the D5100 will no longer be a mystery after reading Thom's clear, detailed explanations. Includes mini-instructions for the SB-400, SB-600, SB-700, SB-800, and SB-900.
*eReader and iPad users: the PDF files have been tested only on the B&N Nook Color, the Kindle 3, and iPad using the Goodreader application, plus desktop versions of Adobe Acrobat Reader. Other devices and applications that support PDFs should be able to use the files, but due to the ever increasing and ever-changing land of eReaders, I can't make any promises beyond the units I test on.
said about the first edition of The Complete Guide to the Nikon D5100:
[new work, no user comments yet]
pages, eBook (Macintosh and Windows CD-ROM supplied; uses Acrobat
Reader) + portable printed guide. eBooks can be used on Kindle 3, Nook Color, and on iPad using Goodreader.
Published by byThom Press.
PLEASE ALLOW UP TO FOUR WEEKS FOR DELIVERY (ITALY ALLOW UP TO SIX WEEKS). US delivery usually takes two or three days after I ship, however the USPS doesn't guarantee this. Please note that byThom usually only ships on Wednesdays.
product is mailed to you on a CD-ROM and printed portable reference (shipped Priority Mail in the
First Class Mail outside the US). The PDF files are in Adobe Acrobat format and require the
free Acrobat Reader 6.x or later. Downloadable versions are not available. The
eBook is cross referenced with bookmarks for the complete
Table of Contents. You may print a copy of the PDF files you get for your
own personal use. If you opt to purchase the printed version, note that it is in black and white only.
product is only available from this Web site and only on CD (plus the abbreviated portable guide).
Please don't support or encourage piracy and illegal copying.